I am always looking for a new way to make chicken. The thing is, while limiting our red meat and pork and focusing on leaner meats, chicken tends to be the main part of our meal. Occasionally I will cook something like fish, but not often. I do not like seafood and hate the way it smells the house up!
Besides, most of the chicken type of meals, my kids will eat! (Oh, by the way, I tested that Spinach Casserole recipe out on my kids, and my autistic son, who hates nearly all things good for him, ate it and actually liked it!!! Talk about shocked!! He was reticent, of course, but I insisted that he must take a small bite. He took a nibble, his eyebrows went up, and he gobbled up what was left on his fork. As he ate, he told his sister, "It only looks disgusting but it tastes good." If you have picky eaters, give that recipe a go!)
Anyway, back to this meal. I am often in a rush if I haven't pre-planned how to cook my chicken. So, I found this recipe that required ingredients that I had in the house. It was really good! An interesting taste, but a very good one! I will make it again.
So, enjoy the dinner if you try it! It really is good!
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 5oz package of mixed salad greens
- 6 cups of torn romaine
- 1 11-oz can of mandarin oranges
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 tspn salt
- In small, heavy skillet, cook and stir sugar over medium heat until melted. Stir in almonds, cook for 1 minute until lightly browned. Spread onto foil coated with cooking spray and set aside.
- In large salad bowl, combine mixed greens, romaine, oranges, celery, and onions.
- Tn small bowl, whisk the dressing ingredients together. Drizzle over salad. Add almonds and toss to coat. Serve immediately
Nutritional information: Serving size is 1 1/4 cups. Contains 125 calories, 8 g fat, 85 mg of sodium
Honey Baked Chicken
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/8 cup prepared mustard (French's Mustard is gluten-free)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place chicken pieces in a shallow baking pan, skin side up. Combine the melted butter or margarine, honey, mustard, salt and curry powder and pour the mixture over the chicken. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 1/4 hours (75 minutes), basting every 15 minutes with pan drippings, until the chicken is nicely browned and tender and the juices run clear.
Nutritional Information: 325 calories, 13 grams of fat
- 6 cups summer squash, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 6 cups zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 tspn. garlic powder, divided
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2/3 cup pure cornmeal (NOT a cornmeal blend)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 T. freshly chopped parsley
- 1/4 t. crushed red pepper flakes
- Place the summer squash slices in a steamer basket and steam for 3-4 minutes or until tender.
- Transfer the slices to a plate and set aside. Place the zucchini slices in the steamer basket and steam for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Lightly oil a large casserole dish. Alternately layer the summer squash and zucchini in the casserole dish. Sprinkle with 1/2 t. garlic powder and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a small bowl, place the remaining garlic powder and remaining ingredients, and stir well to combine. Sprinkle the mixture over the vegetables and bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts
- 1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, ends trimmed and yellow leaves removed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
- Place trimmed Brussels sprouts, olive oil, kosher salt, and pepper in a large resealable plastic bag. Seal tightly, and shake to coat. Pour onto a baking sheet, and place on center oven rack.
- Roast in the preheated oven for 30 to 45 minutes, shaking pan every 5 to 7 minutes for even browning. Reduce heat when necessary to prevent burning. Brussels sprouts should be darkest brown, almost black, when done. Adjust seasoning with kosher salt, if necessary. Serve immediately.
Calories per serving: 104 calories, 7.3 grams fat